Camu Camu (Myrciaria dubia) is a fruit of the Peruvian Amazon, appreciated for its exceptional content of vitamin C. Also for its high content of flavonoids and pectins that play an important role for health. It is a superfood that strengthens the immune system.
In its composition, it presents various bioactive compounds such as carotenoids, antioxidants, vitamins and phenolic compounds. Such as anthocyanins and tannins, which give it the characteristics of a functional food. It also has beneficial properties in the health of those who consume it, since it is considered a powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial; It is also a great ally against cardiovascular diseases and for people suffering from obesity.
The high content of vitamin C favors the formation of collagen, a protein that supports many body structures, responsible for the formation and strengthening of bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments, teeth, gums, connective tissues and blood vessels.
The rural population of the Peruvian Amazon applies a wide variety of therapeutic methods and all parts of the camu camu plant to a wide range of health problems. The main diseases treated are rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes mellitus and influenza.
“Compared to oranges, camu camu provides 30 times more vitamin C, 10 times more iron, 3 times more niacin. Twice as much riboflavin, and fifty percent more phosphorus”
BENEFITS OF CAMU CAMU
- Strengthens the immune system by being antioxidant, antiviral and prevent oxidative stress that causes degenerative diseases.
- Reduces inflammation.
- It is associated with the activation of hormones and neurotransmitters helping to maintain clarity of mind during stress.
- It helps repair the arterial walls, thus avoiding cholesterol deposits (arteriosclerosis).
- Vitamin C binds iron in the blood, preventing anemia.
- Improves the activity of vitamin E in the cells, maximizing the antioxidant capacity of tissues and is the most important feature at the physiological level.
The camu camu contributes to improve the quality of life due to its positive impact on health which. Evidenced in various scientific investigations supported it.